Spear-Line Cape
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spearing Geelbek in the Cape Point Reserve

5 posters

Go down

Spearing Geelbek in the Cape Point Reserve Empty Spearing Geelbek in the Cape Point Reserve

Post  Fishingtaylor01 Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:18 pm

I have dived quite a lot in the reserve and have never been fortunate enough to bump into any geelbek, I know they get taken at bordtjies, pappies and maclears. Does anyone have good advice on how where and when to target them? I know that it is almost time for them to start and would really like to get a couple this year.
Fishingtaylor01
Fishingtaylor01

Breath Hold : 1

Back to top Go down

Spearing Geelbek in the Cape Point Reserve Empty Re: Spearing Geelbek in the Cape Point Reserve

Post  Jensent Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:23 pm

Just spend a lot of time in the kelp Smile You can get them from shallow to deep, often in the brown dirty warm water, but sometimes in reasonable vis. Good signs to look for are loads of baitfish, sometimes with marks on them. It pays to watch the baitfish. If they are very skittish you have a definite chance of good fish being around. Also at Maclears look for birds working, even at the back. You can also get tail at the back of Maclears occasionally. Sharks (not spotties, but soupies, bronzies and cows) are a good sign as the food chain often travels in company.

Bordies you want the fairly brown warm water, and you can get them inside the kelp there, although I have never had that pleasure. You have to have very large goens or no grey matter to poke your head out of the kelp there in those conditions, so in the kelp is fine Smile

My mantra for finding big fish always applies - just spend as much time in the water as you can, and cover ground.

Good luck!
Jensent
Jensent

Breath Hold : 0

Back to top Go down

Spearing Geelbek in the Cape Point Reserve Empty Re: Spearing Geelbek in the Cape Point Reserve

Post  eckart Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:55 am

I agree with Tony, time in the water and getting the conditions right.... my brother did a guest blog on my blog about when he got some geelbek, check out www.freedivers.weebly.com
eckart
eckart

Breath Hold : 0

http://freedivers.weebly.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishingtaylor01 Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:36 am

Cheers Eckart, I will definitely be spending a lot of time in the reserve when the water warms up a bit in hope of getting a couple.
Fishingtaylor01
Fishingtaylor01

Back to top Go down

Post  Bear Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:57 am

You can check out the Millers. A mate of mine got off the back of the kelp line 3 weeks back
Bear
Bear

Breath Hold : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  Bear Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:58 am

Then, again, anywhere passed the kelp with provide bigger fish, along with bigger johnnies
Bear
Bear

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishingtaylor01 Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:57 am

I think it might be a misconception that the deeper you go the bigger the fish get.
Fishingtaylor01
Fishingtaylor01

Back to top Go down

Post  Bear Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:00 am

There abundancy of fish is greater the deeper you go, due to shallower waters being more accessible
Bear
Bear

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishingtaylor01 Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:10 am

All I meant was, don't think that just because the water is shallow it won't hold a large number of decent size fish!
Fishingtaylor01
Fishingtaylor01

Back to top Go down

Spearing Geelbek in the Cape Point Reserve Empty shallow water

Post  spearouys Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:14 am

I totally agree with you mate shallow water has always been good to me with awesome fish being taken in water less than a meter deep. I got a tassle about 1 1/2 month ago of 5,8 kg in water no more than 1,5m deep
spearouys
spearouys

Back to top Go down

Post  Bear Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:08 am

spearouys, how's the garden route looking, any decent dives lately?
Bear
Bear

Back to top Go down

Spearing Geelbek in the Cape Point Reserve Empty dives

Post  spearouys Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:55 am

Ja got my first 2 crackers for the season last week tuesday and again some more breams and tassles on Saturday. A few guys did a dive in scary water at Beneckes in hartenbos and all of them got some good crackers and one guy managed to land a good poensie of 16 k's as well. Huge cracker shoal were reported with shoals of up to 50 fish cruising past the guys.
spearouys
spearouys

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down