Hunting Roman

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hunting Roman

Post  Vaatjie on Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:13 am

Just my thoughts on shooting Roman

Roman is territorial and love holes.

If you see a small one(female) you can bet your dads car there is a bigger one somewhere near.

Start looking in the holes around you, underneath stones rocks etc.

I might be wrong but it always looks to me like the bigger ones arent near big rocks, but follow more rock plates like on the boat club side at MIllers. with a few Holes.
Vaatjie

Breath Hold : 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

romans

Post  spearouys on Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:05 am

all depwends where you are diving garden route side you will still find them in caves but you will also find them free swimming mostly fish that gets taken are the free swimming ones they are pretty dof up here boet they will at times surround you just like them knifejaws(parrots) getting the bigger ones is simple GO HIDE somewhere under a overhang or something and they will come look where you are and bob's your uncle.
spearouys

Breath Hold : 3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hunting Roman

Post  Dieter on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:02 pm

Spent the better part of Sat looking for Romans in Buffels bay.

Didnt spot anything , diving between 6-15 meters of water and coudnt find a single roman.

Water temp was not to bad either.

Dieter

Breath Hold : 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Cart Blanche Sunday Evening

Post  Dieter on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:17 pm

Anybody watch the show last noght

Mercury levels in local fish

They broadcasted thatn after various tests , they seem to find that Roman has a higher level of mercury in them , then all other fished tested.

Interesting

Dieter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bear on Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:29 pm

I'm not sure if you guys have watched the Movie-Documentary, "The Cove", but it basically preaches the concept of mercury in the food chain and how it affects fish.

Mercury is a heavy-metal, and the second-most toxic element in the world. It occurs in three forms:
-elemental (such as in our thermometers)
-methylmercury (in fish)
-inorganic complexes. (in soil, water etc)

The movie is mainly based around the high levels of mercury in the whale and dolphin meat that Japan distributes through its school lunch systems.

It explains how mercury gets from the atmosphere, to our dinner plate(the fish we eat):
-Methylmercury is emmitted through air pollution from industrial activity. It is also emmited through any dumping in the ocean.
-Methylmercury is taken up by bacteria and plankton in the sea
-Small fish consume the mercury by eating the plankton and bacteria
-Larger predatory fish eat the small fish. The larger fish accumulate large amounts of methylmercury in their tissues
-Humans and animals catch the larger fish. This exposes them to large amounts of methylmercury

Basically it explains that the higher the fish is up on the food chain, the higher the levels of mercury in it. Massive yellow-fin tuna, have amongst the highest levels of mercury of all fish, along with sharks, whales, dolphin.

Red roman in my opinion, are also high up on the food chain. They predominantly eat crustaceans, who in turn in any dead sea-life, who in turn had been feeding on smaller fish, and eventually plankton and algae.
The more levels in the food chain under the fish that we eat, the more mercury that has been accumulated. Hence the reason why sharks have such high levels of mercury, because that eat EVERYTHING!

I really urge any free-diver, fish-eating human to watch "The Cove", it is flipping excited at meaningful.
I am still going to eat red roman, as it is one of my favourite fish. I think I will just limit how often that make it to my plate cyclops

B

Bear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dieter on Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:40 pm

Great Post Bear ,

Really interesting , keep them coming

Dieter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Maurice on Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:39 am

Very interesting post. How do you know how much to eat? If I understand correctly, the mercury builds up in the animals that ingest it, making the levels rise without the animal being able to get rid of it in any way. If it's the same for dolphins, I presume it's the same for us. So when do the levels become too high?

Maurice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bear on Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:12 am

I canme accross this 'mercury calculator' on the internet a few months ago. There have been studies done to determine a 'safe' level of mercury that we can consume. Check it out:

http://www.gotmercury.org/article.php?list=type&type=75[/url]

I think mercury is a huge issue if fish is a staple meat in your diet, ie. like offshore commercial fisherman etc
Bear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bear on Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:13 am

this link illustrates the level of mercury in the different fish we eat. very basic:

[url=[url=http://www.thecovemovie.com/fishtoenjoy2.htm
Bear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Maurice on Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:11 am

Thanks for those. Very interesting and also somewhat depressing. Fish used to be brain food. Healthiest thing around, and now look what we've gone and done.

Maurice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bear on Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:48 am

I know what you mean. Fish always seemed the healthy alternative. Maybe crayfish and prawns are the new brain food lol Razz
Bear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bear on Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:33 am

I shot my fisrt Roman since that Carte Blanche episode on the mercury poisoning. I just didnt enjoy it the same knowing its no good for me. Roman used to be my favourite reefie to eat Crying or Very sad
Bear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishingtaylor01 on Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:54 pm

They are still good for you, just enjoy them in moderation.
Fishingtaylor01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bear on Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:57 pm

I know. Wish I never watched that episode
Bear

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishingtaylor01 on Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:04 pm

I picked up a flier in the little fisherman in west lake that was printed by one of the health organisations that monitors mercury levels in fish from our waters. It was produced in response the Carte Blanche screening, they basically said that although mercury is present it is still well within the levels that they say are satisfactory for human consumption.
Fishingtaylor01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top