Spear-Line Cape
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speargun Info

3 posters

Go down

Speargun Info Empty Speargun Info

Post  Japie Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:34 pm

As a total beginner I'm looking at getting myself a speargun to start doing spearfishing.

What is the important features to look for?
What is desent speargun makes that does cost too much?
What is the distance that the different spears can travel and still be effective?

Any other tips are welcome.

Japie

Breath Hold : 0

Back to top Go down

Speargun Info Empty Re: Speargun Info

Post  Bringel Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:22 am

hey japie

if you look on this site some of the guys have posted gun info for beginners like us!! but i can tell you what they told me for a beginner the best length to get would be a 1.1m or 1.2m as this the most versatile gun as it can be used to shoot hotties and even yellow tail and far as brands the best is freedivers guns and speak to eckart or dieter on the site as prices they will help you with as they run the site and sell the gear and they are nice guys and always willing to help us beginners out!! So hope this helps but pm the guys and they wil call you back with all the info you need good luck

Very Happy
Bringel
Bringel

Breath Hold : 1

Back to top Go down

Speargun Info Empty Beginner gun.

Post  Vaatjie Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:22 am

Hi Japie

There a a couple of things to consider when buying a gun.

Dont be tempted to go to big as this wil make the gun difficult to use in the kelp where you will be spending most of you time as a beginner. I would say Max 1.1. I use a 1m.

Then if you go to small say 75 or 80cm the you will outgrow the gun..and if you get lucky and stumble on something big.

Most guys I know use the 1m. It is versatily enough to use almost everywhere and has enough power for bigger species.

Ideally you gun shopuld be like gholf clubs. Diff guns for diff situations. But I f you have only 1 then go for a 1m I would say.

1.2 is way way to big for a first gun.

peak to Dieter from the site he will hook you up.
Vaatjie
Vaatjie

Back to top Go down

Post  Vaatjie Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:46 am

Sorry I didnt answe all your question in my previous post.

OK, wel the distance of the spear is your arm length, plus barrel, plus lenth of the spear plus the line wrapped. I guess depending on gun size 4-5m. But it depends.

I would advise to stick to South African guns simply because the are more rugged than their European Counterparts.

Important factor is the grip. Make sure that the grip is comfortable. Try diff designs/models.

Dont worry about a reel on you rfirst gun. Completely over the top. Stick to the float and line setup.

I would say a 1m with a 7mm spear and 20mm band would be an ideal gun to start off with.

Hope this helps.
Vaatjie
Vaatjie

Back to top Go down

Post  Bringel Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:13 am

hey gooseneck

also a important thing is the handle cos i know alot of divers that complain the handle isnt nice as it doesnt fit there hand nice soon make sure the handle it comfortable
Bringel
Bringel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down