Getting that Steenbras

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Getting that Steenbras

Post  Keelan on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:52 pm

Hey guys

any info on how to target steenbras, are the a skittish fish , cause i know of a spot that i want to dive on a good day and target the steenies that frequent the area so any help to target them will be appreciated

Thanks

Keelan

Breath Hold : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Getting that Steenbras

Post  Bringel on Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:54 pm

hey bud
well i spoke to a spear today that has shot lots of big steenies and tried my best to get some hunting tips but he didnt want to give me much of his secrets No but he did tell me that steenies are skittish fish and the best thing to do in the right spot in the right conditions is to get to the bottem and wait for the fish to come to your path as if the fish sees you decending or moving on the bottom its gone and use small slow movements with your body and gun as the noise also scares the fish!! hope this helps and if i get anymore info from him i will let you know sorry man!! these guys keep there spots and hunting trick to themself and us newbie have to just learn by trail and error!! lol
Good luck
Bringel

Breath Hold : 1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Keelan on Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:22 pm

Bringel are you the one that sent me a pm on sealine, there is a paticular spot here were the steenies have been caught quite often so i am hoping for some clear weather and good water to have a dive and see if i can get anything

Keelan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bringel on Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:30 am

hey keelan
Well whats your name on sealine?? but it could be as im getting into spearing and fishing now so im asking alot of question so i can learn!! let me know what you sealine name is??
Bringel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Keelan on Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:43 am

white pointer on sealine

Keelan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Keelan on Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:44 am

i have been fishing for a good couple of years now but only been spearing for about 6 months now so ja still lots to learn

Keelan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bringel on Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:50 am

white pointer jip this is the same bringel lol well i have been diving for a year and learnt alot of stuff with diving and now im trying to take up fishing so trying the to learn the right conditions to fish in and actually caught something lol
Bringel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Keelan on Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:54 am

well fishing is a game of patience and luck and i am sure you know the good old gary player quote of the more i practice the luckier i get and thats how i feel about fishing the more i fish and learn from those around me the better it gets and i am planing to put that to use with my spearfishing but as with conditions on the west coast the conditions are very seldom good to dive this side

Keelan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bringel on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:02 am

jip thats why im taking up fishing is the west coast dont always have the right conditions to spear so then i go fishing lol well when are you planning on going spearing for the steenbras cause maybe then i can come with you spearing and maybe when the conditions are right i can join you fishing for the steenbras so i can learn the fishing thing and you will have a dive partner!!
Bringel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Keelan on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:18 am

you have a pm bringel

Keelan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bringel on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:21 am

thanks silent
Bringel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  eckart on Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:22 am

my theory is that most fish know you are in the area either by directly seeing you or seeing the way other fish react to you diving down so the most important thing is to be quiet... don't knock your fins together or on a piece of kelp... or hit the bottom... then the oter thing that I find that works is to give the fish the upper hand in terms of location... I don't think you should hide behind a big rock or structure but rather give the fish the structure... I find it makes them bolder because they have the structure to hide behind...
eckart

View user profile http://freedivers.weebly.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Keelan on Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:13 am

shot eckhart

Keelan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bringel on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:57 pm

Hey keelan where you go!!?? havent heard form you in awhile the conditions are getting better on the west coast and i might make a dive this weekend let me know if you in!! and hows the fishing going, caught anything lately?? bringel
Bringel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Keelan on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:40 pm

Hey Bringel

Work has kept me a little busy but ja as for the weekend i hurt my wrist on saturday so never went down and sunday the wind blew so hard here i took a little road trip around the peninsula looking at possible spots but as for this coming week i am going to stock up on some baits for the gallie season so that when the 1 march comes i can catch some of them but will keep in touch

Keelan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bringel on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:57 pm

ok cool hope your wrist gets better and let me know when you go gallie fishing would love to join you!!
Bringel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum