Spear-Line Cape
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Belly Breath

2 posters

Go down

The Belly Breath Empty The Belly Breath

Post  Vaatjie Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:03 am

Free Diving:
Freediving Breathing Exercise: Long, Deep “Complete” Breath
Cliff Etzel

Breathing properly is an essential element for effective and safe freediving.

The following can help you attain a healthy breathing pattern that will not only help with your freediving, but also refresh and invigorate you energy level during your daily routine.

Sit either cross-legged or in a chair with your spine erect and chest expanded. Rest your hands with palms facing up on your thighs. Pull your elbows into your sides but in a relaxed state. Remember to breathe through your nose in a long, slow and deep pattern.

Begin by inhaling from your tummy, much like a balloon. As you inhale, fill it as much as possible - really stretch it. Continue the inhale and move it into your chest area, expanding it as much as possible. Press the backs of your hands into the tops of your thighs for leverage. Now sip in more air and swallow it into your lungs. You are trying to stretch your lungs to increase its volume. Now hold the breath without "bearing down" or "locking up" as if you are still on the inhale cycle, or "blocking" if you are doing the exhale cycle.

Gradually increase the time you hold your breath from a few seconds to a few minutes (eventually) - this will happen as you progress in your practice of this technique.

Then exhale completely. The skill will entail you to first contract your anus, then your PC muscle (similar to holding back when the urge to urinate occurs) and finally your diaphragm ("bearing down" intensely). Try to squeeze out as much air out of your lungs as possible.

Do this technique 3 - 10 times. Repeat it periodically throughout your day and you will see results within a short period of time.

Safe diving
Vaatjie
Vaatjie

Breath Hold : 1

Back to top Go down

The Belly Breath Empty Re: The Belly Breath

Post  Bear Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:07 pm

I have been doing this excercise since this topic was posted. I can confidently vouch for this, as it has greatly improved my lung capacity, as well as my bottom time
Bear
Bear

Breath Hold : 3

Back to top Go down

The Belly Breath Empty Re: The Belly Breath

Post  Bear Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:16 pm

Here are a few excercises I generally do to improve my BH:

I tried to do some Apnea tables online and started out with
1:30 breath hold and 2:00 rest then another breath hold of 1:35 and rest 1:55.
Here is what I did:
Hold Rest
1:30 2:00
1:35 1:55
1:40 1:50
1:45 1:45
1:50 1:40
1:55 1:35
Bear
Bear

Breath Hold : 3

Back to top Go down