Spear-Line Cape
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WESKUS spots, weather, info...

4 posters

Go down

WESKUS spots, weather, info... Empty WESKUS spots, weather, info...

Post  Gooseneck Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:59 am

Hi guys,

Does anybody dive the Weskus on a regular basis? Any tips on what wind works best, spots etc?
By weskus I mean anything North of Atlantis!

I know this question has been asked many many many times before (mainly by myself) but the answers are normally a bit skinny!

Shot guys

stay safe
Gooseneck
Gooseneck

Breath Hold : 0

Back to top Go down

WESKUS spots, weather, info... Empty Re: WESKUS spots, weather, info...

Post  Bringel Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:49 am

hey gooseneck

I know abit of info about the west coast i usually dive ganzekraal and melkbos and the crayfish and nice size hotties come out but if you have a boat then dassen island is the place to be but i dont know about the wind condition very well but i think that a SE wind for a few days is usually good. hope this helps abit lol

let me know when you dive on the west coast, maybe i can join you What a Face
safe diving
Bringel
Bringel

Breath Hold : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Keelan Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:50 am

The diving on the west coast is normal best after the se has blown cause it clears the water up nicely but then usually cold to but there is many a spot i still want to explore and hopefully get some fish hopefully so if anyone is maybe keen to make a day of it maybe we can explore some possible spots

Keelan

Back to top Go down

Post  Bringel Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:05 am

im very keen to join you on a exploration diving maybe we see some BIG fish this is great why to learn!!!
Bringel
Bringel

Back to top Go down

Post  zip Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:13 am

like bringel said, if you are lucky enough to have a boat, then dasssen will be the spot

zip

Back to top Go down

Post  Keelan Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:11 am

i have a boat but unlucky she is not cert for as far as dassen but i can take it out to 1nm so maybe we can get together and do a boat dive i will have space for 2 divers when we go out again

Keelan

Back to top Go down

Post  Bringel Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:35 am

Thats cool!! a nice place to dive will be behind the kelp in melkbos as there is a deep reef out there and nice big fish hang out there so when the conditions are right it will be a good dive and the vis is usually good behind the kelp!! hope this helps you!!
Bringel
Bringel

Back to top Go down

Post  Keelan Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:40 am

i have often been out there with the boat but fishing with a rod and i have seen how nice it can be and i know where all those reefs are sitting cause that is where i normally dive out my kreef

Keelan

Back to top Go down

Post  Bringel Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:42 am

ok cool so when is the conditions right for a boat dive lol
Bringel
Bringel

Back to top Go down

Post  Gooseneck Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:00 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the info, it is really nice also to see the comradreship between the manne. I will definitely take up some of those offers of boat rides etc. Hopefully getting myself squared away with a boat pretty soon as well then I can return the favour!

Stuck at work for a while, so go get em to the rest of you!

Safe diving
Gooseneck
Gooseneck

Back to top Go down

Post  Bringel Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:35 pm

Hey gooseneck
its all cool and next week sometime me, bear and keelan are going diving pls come and join us
Bringel
Bringel

Back to top Go down

Post  Gooseneck Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:08 pm

Thanks for the invite Bringel, I would love to join you guys but I am out of the country until the first week of March. I will keep an eye on the posts ad drop a line when Iget back for sure!!
Safe diving
Gooseneck
Gooseneck

Back to top Go down

Post  Bringel Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:31 pm

Gooseneck just for you!! hope this helps give you a indication on whats happening on the coast!! more or less!!!
Saldanha-Ysterfontein

This area has very few species of fish with the predominant being the Cape Hottentot. Ysterfontein has more with Dassen Island having large shoals of Yellowtail in the winter. The shoreline is generally dirty with cold water.

Ysterfontein-Melkbosstrand-Blouberg

This area is also generally dirty but with White Steenbras and Cob coming out at Melkbos in the right conditions in the summer months. Galjoen are more abundant in these areas than the last. You also find the hottie and in the right conditions white stump.

Table Bay-Sea Point-Camps Bay-Oudekraal-Hout Bay

This area is generally dived in the summer as the water becomes flat, clean and cold with the main fish being the Cape Hottentot.

Hout Bay-Cape Point

This area is still generally cold but Galjoen are found in great numbers at places like Kommetjie, Soutwater and Cape Point when conditions are right, otherwise this area generally only produces Hottentot.

Cape Point-Millers Point

Cape Point can still produce some of the greatest diving in the country with conditions almost divable all year round. Off Cape Point one finds reefs that area from 5m-35m which produce good reef fish like Roman, Galjoen, John Brown, Butterfish and Hottentot, with the gamefish like Yellowtail. These reefs like Anvil rock and Bellows rock about 1.2km off Cape Point are not for the beginner with the water being deep and generally a current running. On these two reefs the most sort after reef fish is the Roman which are know to get up to 4kg, with the current SA record of 4.54kg coming from here. These areas should only be dived by boat!

Inside the point one finds great shore diving spots like Platbank, the famous fish spot Rooikrantz and Buffels Bay. The reefs here vary from 5m-20m. In the summer the yellowtail can be found coming into the bay on these reefs.

Buffels Bay to Smitswinkels Bay has much the same area but there is Batsata Rock at Smitswinkels Bay which lays 600m out from Hells Gates, this is also preferable a boat dive as the swim from entry is about 1.5km to the rock. This area produces the same fish with lovely reef structure from 5m-25m. From Smitswinkels Bay to Millers Point is a marine reserve with NO REMOVAL of sea life at all.

Millers Point-Muizenberg

Straight out from Millers about 6km in the middle of the Bay is the Bell Buoy "Whittle Rock", this with Anvil is maybe the best reef in the False Bay area dived at the moment. The depth starts at 15m and goes to 35m and more. Great size reef fish are found including Bank Steenbras and Red Stumpnose. This reef also tends to have Yellowtail all year round and they are generally bigger fish being 10kgs and up. This area is also known for its Large Great White Sharks so an eye should be kept out for these.

Millers Point itself can be a great area for shore diving producing some nice size reef fish, this area also extends towards Simonstown which called Caravan Reef due to it being in front of a caravan park. The rest of the area does not produce much being Simonstown, Fish Hoek (reserve area), Kalk Bay to Muizenberg Reserve.

Muizenberg-Strand

This area is not much dived at all due to bad visibility here most of the time and being known to have numerous Great White Sharks. Some areas dived in the past and maybe by the BRAVE are Seal Island, East Shoal & York Shoal which produce good fish and big sharks.

Strand-Rooi Els

This area has sharp rocks dropping straight into the sea and is generally only divable in the summer months with an off shore southeast wind. Fish like Galjoen, John Brown, Hottentot, Butterfish are most common. Klippertjies is known for Yellowtail and White Steenbras in the summer months. Rooi-Els itself has good reef ranging from 5m-30m where all types of reef fish are found including Bank Steenbras.

Rooi Els-Bettys Bay

This area has some great reefs unfortunately the south easterly wind in the summer makes the area from Rooi-Els to Moonlight Bay flat, cold and clean due to it being off shore and from Moonlight Bay to Bettys Bay onshore which makes it dirty. These areas hold nice size reefies like Galjoen, John Brown, Roman, Hottentot, Butterfish & Bank Steenbras. Maas Baai at Cape Hangklip is well known for the anglers getting good size Geelbek in the summer. The southern point of Maas Baai has a wreck on it in the kelp which produces good size Galjoen.

Betty's Bay-Kleinmond

From Betty's Bay towards Kleinmond is reserve, but Kleinmond itself has great diving generally Slightly deeper than others 12m-30m. This area still produces Roman of over 3kgs.

Kleinmond-Hermanus

This area produces good size fish and more Red Stumpnose tend to be shot in this area than the west. Onrust is a good shore dive spot as well as Sand Baai. The water in the Hermanus area starts to get deeper closer to the shore. Be careful of whales here in the spring, otherwise you tend to get towed around by these mammals.

Hermanus-Danger Point-Agulhas

This area you really start to get the bigger fish from the Cape South Coast like Mussell Cracker, Big Red Stumpnose 3kg-5kg, White Steenbras and Big Bank Steenbras 3kg-6kg. Yellowtail start to become much more abundant in this area.

This area also has a large population of Great Whites Sharks because of Dyer Island off Quin Point. Struisbaai is maybe the most visited by spearos from the Western Cape, as this area has the spinoff of the Agulhas current which brings warm blue water in the summer with abundant yellowtail. There are some wrecks in the Struisbaai area being the Wafra on the 5-mile bank and the Pioneer, which is one mile from the harbour. There is also the wreck of the Scepter, which lays in the shallows, but is only known to a few.
bounce cheers
Bringel
Bringel

Back to top Go down

Post  Gooseneck Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:20 pm

Shot Bringel, tons of info!!
Gooseneck
Gooseneck

Back to top Go down

Post  Bringel Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:02 am

anytime gooseneck i just hope it helps!! whats nice about this site and the guys on it they not selfish with info as im newish to diving and everyone on here has helped me learn alot and i know now that this year my diving will improve alot as they are always keen to help!!

So thanks to everyone the replys to my posts as its a huge help!!!!! Very Happy
Bringel
Bringel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down