Spear-Line Cape
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sinus problems/ dangers

3 posters

Go down

Sinus problems/ dangers Empty Sinus problems/ dangers

Post  Bear Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:24 pm

Hi guys,

I'm not sure about the general spearfishing consensus, but what are the risks when diving with sinus problems?
I for one, often have random trouble with some of my dives. I often jump into the water, and soon realise my sinus capillaries behind my eyebrows become pressurized. I have tried diving through it, but I realise that a haemorrhage of one of these capillaries could probably do some serious damage? I keep a bottle of SinuMax in my dive bag. Are there any potential hazards to diving while medicated, especially depths 10m+, or should I not worry?

Bear
Bear
Bear

Breath Hold : 3

Back to top Go down

Sinus problems/ dangers Empty Re: Sinus problems/ dangers

Post  Maurice Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:04 am

I suppose it depends on the reason for the sinus problems. If your sinuses are blocked because of a cold or flu, stay out of the water. The dive is not worth the long term permanent damage you can do to your sinuses. I dived with blocked sinuses a couple of years ago, thinking that the salt water will clear everything out after a couple of dives without a mask. I blew my nose a couple of times, put on the mask and off I went. What I didn't realise was that water had entered my sinuses, but had not come out again because of the mucus plug sitting in the way. Two days later I had an infection in my sinuses and pressure was building on the inside. I ended up in hospital, having my sinuses drained with a long needle and some cocaine.

If it's an allergic/hayfever reaction it becomes more problematic, because of the amount of time it can keep you out of the water, especially at this time of the year. From the description it sounds like you have pain in your frontal sinuses, which is not like the normal "my teeth are popping out my jaws" pain, which you get from pressure/reverse squeeze in the maxillary sinus. It could result in heamorrhage like you said, which can be serious if the blood can't drain.

I'm not sure about the SinuMax. I've always been told to stay away from Sinutab, anti-histamine,Advil-CS etc. I'm not sure if it had to do with the medicating effect at depth though. You might want to give Aquanase a try. It's a cortizone based nasal spray which apparently works wonders. I haven't tried it myself as I don't generally get hayfever, but I know guys who swear by it. They say they've been advised that the adverse side effects of cortizone don't apply when you use the nasal spray. You would also not be using it constantly, but only when you want to ensure free flow of air between the sinuses while you dive.

I'd see an ENT if it's a recurring problem. Sometimes you think it's hayfever, but you could have growth, or scar tissue from an injury causing an obstruction or partial obstruction which suddenly comes into play when the mucal membrane swells from the hayfever. I'd recommend Dr John Steer in Wynberg. He used to do my diving medicals and is a no bullshit type of guy.

Maurice

Breath Hold : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Bear Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:18 am

Thanks Maurice, appreciate the response.
I will certainly look into the different options, and even take a visit to the quack to maybe get a diagnosis.
Bear
Bear

Back to top Go down

Sinus problems/ dangers Empty sinus pains

Post  spearouys Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:36 am

I have a few allergies wich affects my sinuses quite a bit at times. I use a homeopathic solution can't get to the name now will look it up and pm it to you and to me it works wonders with no ill effects even at depth as it is all natural.
spearouys
spearouys

Back to top Go down

Post  Maurice Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:41 am

I forgot to ad this. My partner suffers from hectic hayfever this time of the year, and she takes Cetirizine once a day. Says it sorts her out. I don't know anything about it's working though.

Maurice

Breath Hold : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Bear Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:02 pm

Thanks guys,

Will get a hold of these. Seems mine is an allergic reation
Bear
Bear

Back to top Go down

Post  Bear Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:46 pm

Ive been using a vitamin-complex that targets sinus build-up and congestion. Its worked wonders by just taking one a day. Its not medicinal, so its safe to take continuously
Bear
Bear

Back to top Go down

Post  Bear Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:47 pm

Its called SinuSmart by Natrodale
Bear
Bear

Back to top Go down