Spear-Line Cape
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cape Point Reserve

4 posters

Go down

Cape Point Reserve Empty Cape Point Reserve

Post  Fishingtaylor01 Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:21 am

Just dived Cape Maclear, nothing much going on there. Only managed to see a few hotties, but nothing worth shooting. So got out and drove to the false bay side and dived out 28kgs of sinkers Smile Water had good vis all around maclear was 16 degrees and the bay 15 degrees.
Fishingtaylor01
Fishingtaylor01

Breath Hold : 1

Back to top Go down

Cape Point Reserve Empty Re: Cape Point Reserve

Post  c4cole Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:01 am

Dude-seriously what do you do that you can dive during working hours?? I wish I had what ever job you had!!!

c4cole

Breath Hold : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Maurice Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:27 am

I used to ask the guys that when they lie next to me in the surf at Long Beach at ten on a Tuesday morning. I'm pretty green with envy myself, and I get to dive a lot. I drove up the mountain to have a look at Soetwater this afternoon, but still very dirty. Sea was coming down all day, but the report says up again tomorrow.

Maurice

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishingtaylor01 Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:56 am

The dirty water is getting very frustrating, I really want to get a nice dive in at platboom before the end of the season and the water there is just not getting any better. I think we need some south westerly wind or something. 46 days to some tasty crays !!!
Fishingtaylor01
Fishingtaylor01

Back to top Go down

Post  Maurice Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:08 pm

I agree about the dirty water. Spoke to a guy the other day who said he quite likes lying in half a metre of viz and trying to shoot galjoen right in front of his face. We were actually chatting about Soetwater, but the same holds true for Platboom. The galjoen don't hang around in the clean water on the outside, do they? I for one like to be able to see the tip of my spear when my gun is extended in front of me.

Maurice

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishingtaylor01 Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:22 pm

In the start of the season I was shooting fish in such bad viz that I needed to swim to the bottom and look slightly upwards and the gallies would come right in and I would just be able to make out their silhouette, I had a few swim into my gun. The problem that I had was that I shot the odd undersize fish by mistake, purely a reaction shot... very bad karma! Now I just want good viz to take some nice video clips of gallies.
Fishingtaylor01
Fishingtaylor01

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishingtaylor01 Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:27 am

Dived the reserve again today, the water on the Atlantic side is a little warmer and there where galjoen everywhere. Got my 2 and then dived in the bay for some sinkers. Got 20kgs before my bellybag ripped... spent the afternoon making dive weights.
Fishingtaylor01
Fishingtaylor01

Back to top Go down

Post  Maurice Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:21 pm

No birds yet? Is it worth a swim out at SW, or not yet?

Maurice

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishingtaylor01 Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:05 pm

I wouldn't bother yet, we need some south westerly wind first. I never saw any birds, but will let you know when I see some sort of sign.
Fishingtaylor01
Fishingtaylor01

Back to top Go down

Post  Maurice Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:44 am

Drove to Papppies this morning. There were two guys on the reef where I usually shoot galjoen, so I just moved a bit further south. Swam out into relatively warm water (warmer on Pappies side), found some nice galjoen, trigger on gun stuck, swam out swearing, saw good galjoen all the way out, got other gun, back in, all galjoen gone. Swam north and eventually got my two after another hour. Had a look at False Bay later. Buffels looked clear and warm, but it seemed to be getting dirtier the further north you go.

Fishingtaylor, did you find a decent mould? I haven't been to Pringle to check for mine yet.

Maurice

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishingtaylor01 Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:09 am

Thanks Maurice I did... spent the day melting sinkers, made plenty. Typical galjoen, when you cant shoot them there are always plenty around. And you only get one chance at a galjoen!
Fishingtaylor01
Fishingtaylor01

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:39 am

I need to get into the water asap! dived neptunes afew times before (more towards the point than platboom). always a lekker dive.you okes must swim damn far to get out of the kelp at neptunes..it carries on and on for ages! been halfway to the back myself...just never seems to end! if i am right...SW reef is just behind it ?
Going to grotto bay this weekend...hoping for a gallie before season closes..
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishingtaylor01 Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:05 am

Hey Greg, Galjoen are actually quite easy to shoot when you know how. If you get a chance and you want me to show you where I dive in the reserve and how i target them, just pm me your number and if I can't join you I'll try give you a few pointers. I dived Neptune's today, but got sidetracked and ended up just diving sinkers. You are right about SW Reef though, the reef that extends out from Pappies is SW Reef.
Fishingtaylor01
Fishingtaylor01

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:29 am

hey man, ya...must definately go for duik sometime ey. shot a couple of gallies this season....(one in profile picture was shot at rooikranz). SW reef sounds good Very Happy and all them spots you shoot your videos at Wink
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:00 am

By the way okes....West coast is looking awesome today.....probably gna be kotz tomorrow tho when this cold front hits. so if you get a chance.....u wanna dive this side today Smile
lekker link for webcams: http://www.xplorer.co.za/local/webcams/index.html
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  Fishingtaylor01 Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:51 am

I tried my luck today and braved the horrendous weather, I drove to the point hoping that I could find a nice spot to dive before the end of Galjoen season, but was met by very muddy water and quite a big swell. I decided to rather spend the day studying. I will definitely give it my best effort tomorrow. Time is running out fast!
Fishingtaylor01
Fishingtaylor01

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down